More women reaching senior management positions in the City

Recent research by recruitment firm Astbury Marsden has found the number of women taking up top-level management positions in the City has doubled over the past twelve months.

The study found that women now account for 12% of Managing Directors, compared to 6% in the previous year. The overall proportion of women in professional level posts in the City has also grown, rising from 18% in 2012 to 20% in 2013.

Unfortunately however, despite this increase in senior roles, women still continue to dominate in non-client facing, non-fee earning roles.

“Our research demonstrates the fact that a higher proportion of women working in the City are now breaking through the glass-ceiling and reaching senior management positions,” said Mark Cameron, Chief Operating Officer at Astbury Marsden.

“However, there is also the question as to why the women have a much lower overall representation in some of the higher paid areas of financial services such as positions in corporate broking and stockbroking or positions in private equity.”

“The rise in women working in the City suggests that gender diversity programmes continue to make progress towards the target of 25% female directors set by Lord Davies in the ‘Women on Boards’ initiative” he added.

Contact our Employment Solicitors in Aberdeen

If you need help with an employment law matter, including advice on sex discrimination issues, contact our specialist solicitors on 01224 370 208 or fill in our enquiry form today.

Tackling maternity discrimination
Calls for workers to sit on company boards

Related Posts



Already Registered? Login Here
No comments made yet. Be the first to submit a comment

Contact Us

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email
Invalid Input
Invalid Input
What type of help do you need? Invalid Input

Pick tick to confirm you have read this.


COVID-19 update

We are open for business and here to help you.

Our team are working from home but remain fully available to assist you.

Please get in touch today.